Victoria University of Wellington is offering the Tongarewa Scholarship in honor of the institution’s dedication to the community of international students. Those beginning their first year of an undergraduate degree or beginning a postgraduate degree program at Victoria University of Wellington are eligible applicants. Recipients are encouraged to represent Victoria University of Wellington as ambassadors and take part in appropriate events or marketing if asked.
|Host Country||New Zealand|
|Host Institute||Victoria University of Wellington|
|Level||Bachelors degrees, Masters by Research degrees, or Masters by Coursework degrees in any subject|
|Benefits||$5,000 or $10,000|
|Closing Date||30 Nov 2023 4:30 PM|
Academic performance is the basis for competitive scholarship awards. The candidates will be credited to tuition expenses and apply to enroll in classes the following year. Candidates who are shortlisted can be asked to submit more documentation to back up their applications. If an application for housing is submitted to University Accommodation Wellington before the deadline, recipients of these scholarships will be guaranteed an offer of a spot in one of our Halls of Residence.
Table of Contents
Benefits of the Tongarewa Scholarship
For bachelor’s and master’s degrees, there are up to 10 scholarships worth NZ$10,000 and 9 scholarships worth NZ$5,000 for master’s degrees only.
These are half-fee scholarships. Approximately two weeks into the trimester, or after the last withdrawal date for the courses the recipient(s) have been granted, these scholarships will be applied to the recipient(s)’ tuition expenses.
To apply for the Tongarewa Scholarship, Candidates should be:
- overseas students who are paying the total cost of attendance abroad
- either beginning their first year of undergraduate study or a postgraduate program.
The following actions disqualify you from this scholarship:
- your secondary education was completed in a New Zealand institution
- completed the Foundation Studies Program or English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
- are enrolled at one of our international partner universities as a Twinning or Study Abroad student.
- are enrolled in Victoria University of Wellington’s same degree program in your second year of study.
Documents/Material Required to Apply for Tongarewa Scholarship
- A 500-word maximum personal statement detailing your academic objectives, reasons for choosing Victoria University of Wellington, and reasons why you deserve the scholarship. Include any leadership roles you have held as well as information about your involvement in your community and school.
- complete transcripts and any other supporting documents required for the qualification type.
- a conditional or unconditional offer of admission from the Victoria University of Wellington, along with your VUW student ID.
For trimester 1, 2024 the deadline to apply for Tongarewa Scholarship is 30 November 2023.
On the closing date, a completed online application must be submitted by 4:30 p.m. Applications that are submitted late or in part won’t be approved. The application must be submitted by 4:30 p.m. on the closing date together with any necessary supporting materials (including references).
Typically, applications become available one month before the deadline. If there isn’t an application link listed here, come back later, closer to the deadline. Inquire with us if you have any questions.