TWAS-LUMS Postgraduate Fellowships are available to young scientists from developing nations (apart from Pakistan) who want to work toward a PhD in Natural Sciences and Engineering at the Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), Pakistan, and TWAS.
|Minimum Degree Required||M.Sc.|
|Eligible Nationality||Developing countries in the South|
|Fellowship Type||Fully Funded|
|Benefits||Tuition Fee Waiver, Stipend, Allowances|
|Duration||Maximum of 60 months (5 years)|
|Closing Date||13 March 2024|
TWAS-LUMS Postgraduate Fellowships are available for study leading to a PhD degree in one of the natural sciences or engineering departments at the Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering (SBASSE) of the Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan.
Table of Contents
Duration and Benefits of the TWAS-LUMS Postgraduate Fellowships
TWAS-LUMS Postgraduate Fellowship Program provides the following benefits to scholars:
- Monthly stipend
- Tuition Fee
- Other allowances
The monthly stipend that LUMS will provide should be used to pay for living expenses like food, lodging, local transportation, and any unforeseen minor illnesses. There will be no foreign exchange rate conversion for the monthly stipend. A maximum of 60 months (or five years) may be awarded for the Fellowship.
Candidates for the TWAS-LUMS Postgraduate Fellowship Program need to fulfill the following requirements:
To be eligible for the fellowship,
- applicants must not be enrolled in a PhD program in their nation of origin;
- not older than 35 years old as of December 31, the application year;
- possess a Master’s degree in a natural sciences discipline;
- be citizens of a developing nation (other than Pakistan);
- cannot be in possession of a visa for either temporary or permanent residence in Pakistan or any other developed nation;
- provide proof of English competency if English was not the primary language of instruction;
- present proof that, upon conclusion of the fellowship, she or he will return to their nation of origin;
- refrain from accepting new tasks while receiving their fellowship;
- be able to support any accompanying family members financially.
*English is used as the instruction language.
*Women and applicants from Least Developed Countries (LDCs) are especially encouraged to apply.
Following are the eligible fields for the TWAS-LUMS Postgraduate Fellowship Program:
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
*For TWAS, IT and computer sciences are included under engineering sciences.
Documents/Material Required to Apply
- Application Form: Fill out the official form offered by the fellowship program and send it in.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV): A comprehensive CV that highlights your research experience, related talents, and accomplishments in both your academic and professional life.
- A letter outlining your motivation for applying, your academic and research objectives, and how the fellowship fits with your career plans is called a letter of intent or motivation.
- Research Proposal: Depending on the program, you might have to send in a thorough research proposal that outlines the kind of study you plan to do.
- Academic Transcripts: Certified copies of your academic records from each university you have attended.
- Testimonials: Generally, you will require letters of recommendation from experts or instructors who can vouch for your research potential and academic prowess.
- Proof of English Proficiency: If English is not your first language, you might need to show that you can speak the language well by taking an IELTS or TOEFL exam.
- Degree Certificates: Copies of your prior academic credentials’ degree certificates or diplomas.
- Research Experience: A synopsis of your prior work in research, together with any papers or talks you may have given.
- A copy of your passport or other identity documents is used as identification.
Please be aware that you can only turn in the necessary paperwork a few days after the deadline. Full details about the email addresses used to apply will be sent to you. The submission deadline is March 15, 2024, at 11:59 p.m. Pakistan time.
Applications must be received by March 13, 2024, at 11:59 p.m. Pakistan time.
For PhD applications, applications must be submitted using the LUMS site (see Submitting your application below). After being selected, students will get an official admission offer letter from the LUMS Office of Admissions. To apply, they must use this portal online.
Apply online here by doing the following:
- first, use your email address to register for an account;
- then submit an application choosing the PhD for Non-Nationals;
- choosing the LUMS-TWAS fellowship option after that.
Following your application, you might be asked to take part in an online interview.
For more details about TWAS-LUMS Postgraduate Fellowships, visit here.