Jean Monnet Postdoctoral Fellowships in Italy are a prestigious research program offered by the Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies (RSCAS) at the European University Institute (EUI) in Florence, Italy. These grants are made to assist postdoctoral scholars who are enthusiastic about researching issues pertaining to European integration and the EU.
|Host Institute||European University Institute|
|Fellowship Type||Monthly Salary|
|Benefits||Family Allowance, Travelling allowances|
|Closing Date||25 Oct.|
For the academic year 2024–2025, the Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies (RSC) awards one-year Jean Monnet Fellowships to academics who received their doctorates more than five years ago, on or before 1 September 2024.
Scholars participating in the program often have the chance to undertake independent study on their own, use the intellectual resources of the EUI, and work with other experts in their field. The fellowships typically last one or two years, and those who are selected are given a stipend to help with living expenses while they are living in Florence.
Table of Contents
European University Institute (EUI)/Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies
The European University Institute (EUI) was founded by the member states to contribute to the cultural and scientific advancement of the social sciences from a European perspective. It is an independent body of the European Union with a legal personality and an international postgraduate and postdoctoral teaching and research institute.
The Joseph Weiler-founded Policy Unit served as the foundation for the 1993 inauguration of the Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies by the European University Institute. The center’s goal is to “contribute to research on the key problems confronting modern European society, including issues related to the creation of Europe.” Numerous key programs are offered by the center.
Advantages of the Jean Monnet Postdoctoral Fellowships in Italy
The base grant is €2,500 per month.
Successful applicants must tell the EUI whether they receive any additional grants or income. The amount of the Fellowship will be fixed at a lower rate (minimum €1,750 per month) depending on the level of supplementary income (upon provision of pertinent supporting documentation). If applicable, family allowances will be added to the base grant (see below).
Allowance for families
Fellows who have a partner who lives with them in Florence and whose income is less than € 2,000 per month are eligible for a household allowance of up to € 300 per month. The monthly maximum for income and allowance is € 2,000 (i.e., if income is greater than € 1,700, the allowance will only be provided to top up to € 2,000).
If they reside with a fellow in Florence, each dependent kid receives a dependant allowance of €200 per month.
The arrival travel from the fellow’s home country to Florence and the return trip at the end of the fellowship are both reimbursed, but not the fellow’s family members.
First-class rail (travel by car is also reimbursed on this basis), airfare in the economy class
The maximum travel reimbursement is €1,200, which covers both the inbound and outbound journey. The Centre Director may approve the reimbursement of greater sums and any additional costs in response to a valid special request. There is no reimbursement for cab costs.
To apply for the Jean Monnet Postdoctoral Fellowships in Italy, the candidates are expected to fulfill the following requirements:
- Nationality: The Jean Monnet Fellowships are open to applicants from all countries.
- Academic Qualifications: Candidates for the fellowships must have received their doctorate more than five years before the fellowship began on September 1 (for applications for 2024–25, the Ph.D. must have been conferred before that date).
- Academic Qualifications: The minimum requirement for applicants was a Ph.D. in a related discipline. Prior to the fellowship’s initiation, the Ph.D. degree is required to be earned.
- Research Topic: The applicant’s research project should address issues pertaining to European integration and the EU. The research goals of the Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies (RSCAS) at the EUI should be in line with the proposal.
- Mobility: For the duration of the fellowship, most applicants had to be prepared to relocate to Florence, Italy.
- Language Proficiency: The European University Institute used English as its primary language of communication and instruction, hence proficiency in the language was often required.
- Previous Funding: Previous financing: Candidates may have had to attest that they had not obtained financing for a comparable research topic from another source during the fellowship time.
Documents/Material Required to Apply
- CV with a list of publications in PDF
- Letter of motivation (1-2 pages) in PDF
- Research proposal (2-4 pages) in PDF
- Letters of References
Please use standard international fonts, do not use macros, special characters, password protection, electronic signatures, or logos.
The application deadline is October 25, 2023, at 14:00 CEST.
The selection of Jean Monnet Fellows is based on a research proposal and a CV. A good connection between the research proposal and one of the Center’s major research themes, programs, or initiatives is required. To apply for Jean Monnet Postdoctoral Fellowships in Italy, there may be two stages:
- Publish your application as soon as you can.
You are urged to register your application as soon as possible by entering your contact information and that of your references. It’s crucial to do this so that your referees have enough time to submit their letters of recommendation before the deadline. After the cutoff, references won’t be considered
2. Submit your application before October 25, 2023 (14:00 CEST), the cutoff time.
Once your application has been registered, you may continue to edit the application information and any attachments up until the submission date of October 25, 2023 (14:00 CEST). Only submit the application once you are certain that all the fields are completed accurately and that the final version of all the attachments has been successfully uploaded.