Melbourne University Graduate Research Scholarships (MUGRS) provide financial assistance to High-achieving domestic and foreign students pursuing graduate research degrees at the University of Melbourne in Australia.
|Host Institute||Melbourne University|
|Scholarship Value||100% fee remission and up to $110,000|
|Eligible Study Fields||All study areas|
|No. of Scholarships||Approximately 600|
|Eligible Nationality||Australian / domestic student, International student|
|Duration||2 years, 3.5 years|
Australian scholarships do not require an application fee, and they do not require a separate, drawn-out process like other scholarships. For graduate students, there are 600 total scholarship prizes available. Because the University of Melbourne selects many international students for this scholarship in Australia practically every year, all international students are strongly encouraged to apply.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Melbourne University Graduate Research Scholarships
The following are the benefits of Melbourne University Graduate Research Scholarships:
Stipend and Fee Offset Scholarships
- For students pursuing a doctoral degree, the full tuition may be waived for up to four years or up to two years for those pursuing a master’s by research.
- For students pursuing a Master by Research degree or a doctoral degree, a living allowance of $34,400 per year pro rata (2023 full-time study rate) is provided for up to two years or 3.5 years, depending on the length of the program. The living allowance comprises a small amount of paid sick, maternity, and parental leave and is subject to annual indexing.
- Students migrating from other States or Territories besides Victoria will receive a $2000 relocation award, while students traveling from outside of Australia will receive a $3000 grant.
- For international students who need a student visa to study in Australia, Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Single Membership is available.
Scholarships for Fees Offset
Students pursuing a doctoral degree may receive a full fee waiver for up to four years or a maximum of two years if they are pursuing a Master’s by Research degree.
Melbourne University Graduate Research Scholarships Eligibility
If you want to be considered for Melbourne University Graduate Research Scholarships, you have to
- All domestic students who are offered admission to the University of Melbourne’s PhD or Masters by Research programs.
- Graduate Research Scholarships, which offer both a stipend and a fee reduction, are given to both domestic and foreign students depending on their academic merit.
- having submitted an application for and been accepted into a graduate research degree at the University of Melbourne, or be enrolled in a graduate research degree at the University of Melbourne.
Melbourne University Graduate Research Scholarships Application Procedure
There may be three types of students applying for the Melbourne University Graduate Research Scholarships:
You will be automatically eligible for the Graduate Research Scholarships if you are a new student and have submitted an application by the deadline for a graduate research course. After submitting your course application, you will hear from us within ten business days to let you know that a scholarship application has been added to your file.
Students who have accepted a graduate research course offer and deferred commencement
You must submit an online application by October 31 to be eligible for a Graduate Research Scholarship the following year if you accepted an offer for a graduate research course and postponed graduation to have your scholarship application reviewed. After submitting the online application, you will get a notification ten business days later saying that a scholarship application has been added to your file.
Currently Enrolled Students
If you are currently enrolled in a graduate research course, you must fill out an online application by October 31 in order to be considered for a scholarship for the following year’s program. Within ten business days of submitting the online application, you will be notified that a scholarship application has been added to your file.
Go for more information here, click on “Register Now” at the bottom of the page, to apply for the scholarships, and fill in the form with the required information.
Apply for a Course
Pick the graduate research program to which you want to apply. There are several possibilities:
- Doctor of Philosophy: You will do original research on a specialized subject for up to 4 years and create a thesis of about 80 000 words. Some of our PhD programs feature taught courses during the first year.
- Doctorate by Research: This program offers coursework in addition to meetings for your research, providing high-level engagement with the important literature in your research area.
- A thesis of between 30,000 and 40,000 words must be completed for the Master of Philosophy (MPhil), an internationally recognized master’s program by research.
- In contrast to the MPhil, the Masters by Research program includes coursework and requires a thesis that is less than 30,000 words long.