TWAS-IsDB Postdoctoral Fellowship Program is offered to early-career researchers through the close collaboration of the World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) and the Islamic Development Bank(IsDB). The fellowships support research related to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and provide recipients with high-level training in areas relevant to sustainability science.
Table of Contents
The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) is a scientific academy established for developing countries, bringing together 1,000 scientists in approximately 70 countries. Its main objective is to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in developing countries. It was formerly known as the Third World Academy of Sciences. Its headquarters are located on the premises of the Abdus Salam International Center for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) in Trieste, Italy. Wikipedia
Islamic Development Bank (IsDB)
The Islamic Development Bank is a multilateral development finance institution that focuses on Islamic finance for infrastructure development and is based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. The bank’s aim is to promote social and economic development in member countries and Muslim communities around the world.
Benefits of TWAS-IsDB Postdoctoral Fellowship
The following are the benefits of the TWAS-IsDB Postdoctoral Fellowship:
- Through the scholarship, the selected scholar will be provided with a monthly allowance based on the cost of living in the host country to cover expenses such as accommodation, food, and health insurance.
- The fellowship will offer a bench allowance of up to $2,600 as a contribution to laboratory expenses necessary for the awardee’s research.
- The scholarship will cover the cost of round-trip airfare up to $1,000. Any additional travel expenses (eg airport transfers and local transport) will be the responsibility of the recipient.
Early career researchers from the 21 least developed member countries of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) are eligible for the TWAS-IsDB Postdoctoral Fellowship offered by the IsDB and TWAS.
- Burkina Faso
- Sierra Leone
The host center should be identified by the candidate based on her specific research area. In the latter case, TWAS and the scientific reviewers involved in the selection of the awardees will decide on the suitability of the host institute proposed by the candidate. In all cases, the host center must be located in a developing country.
IsDB-TWAS Postdoctoral Fellowships for Building Skills in Sustainability Science are sustainable in centers of excellence in developing countries. The scholarship provides support for research projects in the following fields:
- Climate Change
- Education for Sustainable Development
- Green chemistry
- Population growth
- Plastic pollution and Micro-plastics
- Responsible growth
- Sustainable cities
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Waste management
- Water and hygiene
Eligibility Criteria for TWAS-IsDB Postdoctoral Fellowship
Applicants for IsDB-TWAS Postdoctoral Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a PhD in a field of science relevant to the research area of the Fellowship
- Has preferably 5 years of post-PhD research experience
- The host institute must be in a developing country from the list
- Provide an official acceptance letter from the host institute
- Be a national and resident in the IsDB LDMC from the said list
- Be employed by an institution in her home country
- Be under the age of 45 at the time of application
TWAS-IsDB Postdoctoral Fellowship Program is offered for a limited period(3 to 6 months).
The closing date for the TWAS-IsDB Postdoctoral Fellowship is 22 March 2023. Try to apply as early as possible to enable the application scrutiny process quicker.
How to apply:
- Applications for the TWAS-IsDB Postdoctoral Fellowship must be submitted online only (The link is given below). Applications submitted in any other way will not be considered.
- No applications will be accepted after the due date. Therefore, it is highly recommended to submit an electronic application as soon as possible
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- A researcher can only submit one application at a time and for only one type of grant or fellowship.