The Charles Bullard Fellowship in Forest Research Program supports advanced research and study by individuals who show promise of significant contributions, either as scholars or administrators, to forestry and forestry subjects, including biology, earth sciences, economics, politics, administration, philosophy, humanities, arts, or law.
This scholarship is a highly competitive program and only accepts 5-7 applicants per year out of a large number of applicants.
Table of Contents
Summary of Charles Bullard Fellowship in Forest Research
|Harvard Forest in Petersham/Harvard University in Cambridge
|No. of Fellowships
|Up to $60,000
|6 – 12 months
|US and International
|Application Opening Date
|August 1, 2023
|Applications Closing Date
|October 1, 2023
Qualifications for the Charles Bullard Fellowship in Forest Research
Bullard Fellowships are typically awarded to mid-career individuals who have established themselves in academia, public service, or private enterprise. PhDs are usually preferred for those with an academic background, but studies and research at Harvard could boost that promise, so the project would make a more significant contribution to forestry and forestry science more broadly. Others who have committed to it will be considered.
Fields of Research
Research areas include forest ecology, tree physiology, soil biogeochemistry and microbial ecology, forest resource management, conservation and biodiversity, land use planning and public policy. Occasionally grants are awarded in the arts and environmental sciences.
Financial Benefits of Charles Bullard Fellowship in Forest Research
Fellowships provide scholarships of up to $75,000; the amount of each award depends on the duration of the fellowship. Members have the option of having the reward paid to themselves or to the member’s employer.
Visiting Fellowships Each Bullard Fellow will receive travel funding equal to the price of one roundtrip flight from their home base to the Fellowship site. The fellowship will reflect the lower of the actual airfare or mileage (calculated at an IRS-determined rate) between the two. Bullards shall pay the expenses of any anyone accompanying them.
The Bullard Fellowship is a residential program and fellows are expected to spend a substantial portion of their fellowship either at Harvard Forest in Petersham, Massachusetts or at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Bullards who expect to spend more than a week or two traveling during their fellowship should include details in their application.
Additional Infomation For Foreign Scholars
When submitting an application for a Bullard Fellowship, foreign scholars must take into account extra factors like the visa application procedure, logistics, and financial repercussions. The Harvard Foreign Office website (www.hio.harvard.edu), which provides information on visa regulations, taxes, and health insurance as well as other useful issues, should be consulted by all prospective foreign Bullards.
The application requires:
- Completed web application form
- Contact information for 3 references who can provide insight into the applicant’s proposed program and their personal and professional qualifications for its implementation. Recommenders should submit their letters of recommendation for the 2023-2024 program through the secure online application system by October 15, 2022 (a two-week grace period after the deadline).
- A research statement describing the applicant’s professional career to date, proposing a research program at Harvard, and evaluating the program in terms of its potential contribution to the applicant’s future professional career (a maximum of 5 single-spaced pages is required).
- Curriculum vitae (no more than 5 pages) containing:
- Colleges and Universities; dates of participation and degrees received
- He has held professional positions since graduating from university
- Any academic awards and honors
- Important books, articles, reports, etc.
- Significant educational and outreach activities (NSF calls these activities “synergistic activities”)
- Artists should provide a link to an online portfolio of their work
If required more information, go to the Official Website.