The purpose of the ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents, often known as the ANSO Scholarship, is to teach and develop young scientists worldwide. It was formally introduced in 2019. A total of 200 Master’s and 300 PhD students are supported annually by the ANSO Scholarship to pursue postgraduate studies at the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) institutes around China, the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), or the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC).
|No. of Scholarships||500|
|Eligible Nationality||Developing countries in the South|
|Fellowship Type||Fully Funded|
|Benefits||Tuition Fee Waiver, Stipend, Allowances|
|Duration||3, 4 years|
|Closing Date||February 15, 2024|
Founded in 2018, the Alliance of International Science Organizations (ANSO) is an international non-governmental organization that operates without profit. 37 global universities, international organizations, and scientific institutions are among the founding members. ANSO seeks to advance more S&T cooperation and communication as well as human livelihoods and well-being on a regional and global scale.
This year marks the official debut of the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship, a subcategory of the ANSO Scholarship. Least Development Countries (LDCs) and women shall receive special (but exclusive) consideration, in line with TWAS/UNESCO’s emphasis. Each year, TWAS/UNESCO will choose up to 50 PhD candidates from South Asian developing nations for this category.
Table of Contents
Benefits of the ANSO Scholarship
|Sr. No||PhD Program||Master Program|
|1||Tuition Fee Waiver||Tuition Fee Waiver|
|2||6,000 -7,000 CNY/month up to 48 months||3,000 CNY/month up to 36 months|
|3||Health insurance||Health insurance|
|4||Application Fee Waiver||Application Fee Waiver|
|5||International Travel Allowance||International Travel Allowance|
|6||One-time Visa/Residence Permit Allowance||One-time Visa/Residence Permit Allowance|
The applicants must meet the following criteria in order to apply for the ANSO Scholarship:
- Applicants who qualify should not be citizens of China;
- Applicants must be fluent in either Chinese or English;
- Applicants to master’s programs must have been born after January 1, 1994, inclusive.
- Applicants to PhD programs must be born on or after January 1, 1989, inclusive.
- Applicants must fulfill the requirements for admission to USTC/UCAS as an international student.
- It is not permitted for qualified candidates to take on additional tasks while receiving their scholarship.
- You are not eligible for this scholarship’s master’s program if you are a student at any Chinese university or institution presently pursuing a master’s degree. You are not eligible for the PhD program of this grant if you are a doctorate student at any Chinese university or institution. If not, you will not be admitted, and your existing university or institution will be informed of the situation.
Documents/Material Required to Apply
The following documents are required to apply for the ANSO Scholarship:
- Passport photocopy (regular passport with minimum one-year validity)
- A study or research proposal (with a minimum word count of 800)
- Curriculum Vitae ( CV)
- Two recommendation letters from associate or full professors (with a phone number and email address)
- Physical Examination Form for Foreigners (download in Annex)
- Candidates for Chinese-language programs must submit a photocopy of their HSK certificate or another document proving their proficiency in the Chinese language; candidates for English-language programs must submit a photocopy of their current TOEFL or IELTS score or another document proving their English language proficiency (apart from those whose mother tongue is English).
- A photocopy of your degree certificate and your academic records for your bachelor’s and master’s degrees, if applicable, notarized by your nation’s Ministry of Education or a similar body.
- Applicants who are enrolled in universities must submit official documentation attesting to their status as students as well as the precise date on which they expect to receive their degree;
- Candidates who have already completed their degrees but have not yet received their degree certificates must present official documentation outlining their circumstances and providing a precise date on which they expect to get their certificate;
- Applicants who are currently employed must submit official documentation attesting to their employment position as on-post staff members and granting release.
- If the given documents are not in Chinese or English, a notarized translation in either language must be attached.
- Regardless of the application’s outcome, the materials submitted will not be returned.
Application and referee deadline: February 15, 2024 (Beijing Time).
To apply for the ANSO Scholarship:
- Before the deadline, complete and submit your application via the USTC/UCAS admission portal as instructed.
- When submitting an application, make sure you select “the ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents” first.
- Secondly, you must check the box in the application system as directed if you wish to be taken into consideration as a possible candidate for the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship.
Go here for the USTC admissions system portal.
Visit here for the UCAS admissions system:
For more details about the ANSO Scholarship, visit here.