The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation supports highly qualified researchers from all across the world through the Humboldt Research Fellowship. You can take advantage of the Humboldt Foundation’s extensive array of support services as a scholarship holder and the individualized assistance we offer.
Table of Contents
Humboldt Research Fellowship for Postdoctoral and Experienced Researchers Details
|Scholarship Level||Postdoctoral, Experienced Researchers|
|Host Institution||German research institution of your choice|
|Postdoctoral Stipend||€ 2,670 per month|
|Experienced Researchers Stipend||€ 3,170 per month|
|Application Deadlines||March, July, and November|
|Eligible Country||Across the Globe|
By awarding Humboldt Research Fellowships to postdoctoral researchers, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation provides excellent researchers from abroad who are in the early stages of their academic careers and who have less than four years of Ph.D.Fellowships may last from 6 to 24 months. Scientists and scholars from all fields and countries can apply.
The Humboldt Research Fellowship allows you to conduct your own research at different stages of your career in collaboration with a host at a German research institution of your choice.
Postdoctoral Fellowship Specifications
Take advantage of research sponsorship in Germany at the start of your academic career. The Humboldt Research Fellowship for Postdoctoral Researchers allows you to conduct research in Germany. The amount of the monthly scholarship is € 2,670. Scholarships can last from 6 to 24 months.
Experienced Researchers Fellowship Coverage
The Humboldt Research Fellowship for experienced researchers enables you to conduct research in Germany. The amount of the scholarship is € 3,170. Scholarships can last from 6 to 18 months and can be divided into up to three stays within three years.
Additionally, the following benefits can be granted:
- mobility lump sum as a subsidy for expenses in connection with necessary conference and research trips, archive and library stays, etc. in Germany and abroad;
- subsidy towards the cost of medical and liability insurance;
- lump sum for the fellow’s travel expenses if the costs are not borne by a third party;
- language fellowship for an intensive language course lasting two to four months at selected language institutes in Germany immediately prior to the actual period of research;
- language fellowships may also be granted to accompanying marital partners.
- family allowances for accompanying family members staying at least three months;
- for single parents: flat-rate allowance for accompanying children (under the age of 18) for stays of at least three months;
- additional extension of the fellowship up to 12 months for research fellows accompanied by children under the age of 12;
- Europe allowance for a research stay at a research institute in another European country (though not the research fellow’s own country); for a designated period in the course of the fellowship if necessary to ensure the success of the research;
- a subsidy towards research costs to be paid to the hosts in Germany amounting to 800 EUR per month (for research in the natural sciences and engineering) and 500 EUR (for research in the humanities and social sciences);
- extensive alumni sponsorship once a successful research stay has come to an end, especially for maintaining contacts with collaborative partners in Germany during the Humboldtian’s entire academic career.
It may be helpful to you:
Application Requirements for Humboldt Research Fellowships
- Doctoral or comparable academic degree (Ph.D., C.Sc., or equivalent), completed less than four years prior to the date of application. Applicants who have almost completed their doctoral studies may apply provided they submit a dissertation manuscript or a publication containing the results of their dissertation, but no earlier than 6 months before the completion of the dissertation.
- Academic publications are reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or publishing houses.
- Confirmation that research facilities and a mentoring agreement are available and a detailed statement from an academic host expert from a research institution in Germany.
- Expert opinions of the supervisor of the doctoral studies and one other academic worker qualified to submit substantiated comments on the applicant’s qualifications, if possible including reviewers not working at the applicant’s own institute.
- Necessary language skills: humanities or social sciences and medicine: good knowledge of German, if it is necessary to carry out the research successfully; otherwise good knowledge of English; natural sciences and engineering: good knowledge of German or English.
These may also be beneficial to Women:
- curriculum vitae (maximum two pages)
- research outline (maximum five pages)
- complete list of your publications (cf. sample list, PDF)
- list of selected key publications (cf. sample list, PDF)
- key publications
- doctoral certificate or proof that your doctorate has been successfully completed or confirmation that it will be within the next six months
- German language certificate if required
- if necessary: publisher’s notice of receipt and/or acknowledgment of receipt and summaries/translations of key publications not available in German or English
- In addition: the host statement and confirmation that research facilities are available
- Two expert reviews.
You may also like:
How To Apply for Humboldt Research Fellowships
If you would like to apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship, please submit the necessary documents to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only. To continue, you need a user account with the Humboldt Foundation. If you have already registered with Humboldt Foundation just log in and continue the application process, otherwise go to official website or register to directly apply.
The selection committee responsible for assessing applications for this program meets every March, July, and November. Please send the completed application form, including any other required documents, well in advance of the required selection date.
More Related Posts: