Fully funded TWAS-TUBITAK Postdoctoral fellowship program for foreign scholars from developing countries in the South who want to do postdoctoral research in natural and related applied science fields in departments and laboratories of public and private universities in Türkiye (Turkey) and TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes has been established by TWAS and the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Türkiye (TÜBİTAK).
|Host Institute||Public and private universities in Turkey|
|Minimum degree held||Ph.D.|
|Eligible Nationality||Developing countries|
|Fellowship Type||Fully Funded|
|Duration||6 to 36 month|
|Closing Date||25 December 2023|
Table of Contents
The Scientific and Technological Research Institution of Turkey is a national organization that aims to “play a leading role in the creation of a science and technology culture” in the nation, support and carry out research and development, and develop “science, technology and innovation” (STI) policies. Research, technology, and development (R&D) investigations are conducted by TÜBİTAK in accordance with “national priorities” and the organization creates and oversees scientific and technological policy.
Benefits of Fully Funded TWAS-TUBITAK Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
The following are the benefits of the TWAS-TUBITAK Postdoctoral Fellowship Program:
- TWAS will provide travel assistance to and from Turkey to the researcher’s country of residence and cover visa costs.
- TÜBİTAK will pay monthly allowances in amounts determined by TÜBİTAK to cover accommodation and living expenses, as well as premiums for Turkish private health insurance.
- Tuition fees, including tuition, registration, and research fees, must be waived or paid by the host institution.
Eligible Fields for TWAS-TUBITAK Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme
The following are the eligible fields for a fully funded TWAS-TUBITAK Postdoctoral fellowship:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell. & Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems & Organisms
- Medical & Health Sciences, including Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space & Earth Science
- Mathematical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology.
Applicants for Fully Funded TWAS-TUBITAK Postdoctoral Fellowship Program must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a permanent resident and a national of a developing country.
- Applicants from development deficit countries (Science and Technology Lag, STLC) and women are especially encouraged to apply. A list of STLCs can be found at https://twas.org/66-countries.
- Caution. Developing countries not on the list are also eligible to apply.
- Must not hold a visa for temporary or permanent residence in Turkey or any developed country.
- Employed in a developing country (other than the host country) to perform research assignments there.
- Ph.D. in Natural and Related Applied Sciences (any of the above disciplines).
- Must be 45 years of age or younger as of December 31 of the year of application.
- Candidates who have obtained a doctorate from a Turkish university must obtain a letter of acceptance from a university other than the university where they obtained their doctorate and must conduct research under a supervisor different from that of their doctoral supervisor.
- Not to undertake any other duties during the term of the Fellowship.
- To be financially responsible for accompanying family members.
- Have never received any funding from this program.
- After completing the fellowship, you must return to your home country.
Documents/Material Required to Apply
The following documents are required to apply for Fully Funded TWAS-TUBITAK Postdoctoral Fellowship Program:
- An official Letter of Acceptance from the appropriate department, institution, or institute of a Turkish public or private university or from the TÜBİTAK Research Center and Institute. (Host Acceptance Letter_Template)
- Applicants must provide a supporting statement from the Responsible Officer/Director of the applicant’s current employer in accordance with TÜBİTAK’s format. The justification must support the applicant’s application and show that the leave of absence will be granted if approved. (Supporting Statement from the Employer_Template)
- Proof of English proficiency. If your means of education were not in English: Provide evidence in English, such as a standardized test card (TOEFL or IELTS) or a university-issued letter demonstrating language proficiency.
- If the medium of instruction is English, please briefly describe what type of instruction was given in English. If you have a high school, bachelor’s, or master’s degree, this declaration must be signed and dated by the applicant.
- Submit a Research proposal form in the format specified by TÜBİTAK (Research Proposal Form Template)
*Note: The Letter of Acceptance must be directed to the selected host institution in Turkey and not to TÜBİTAK. Applications without provisional acceptance will not be considered for selection. The highest authority of your chosen host institution must sign the Letter of Acceptance. The largest number of academic advisors in Turkey is two.
The fully funded TWAS-TUBITAK Postdoctoral fellowship call will end on December 25, 2023.
- Applications for scholarships must be submitted online only via the TÜBİTAK online application system. To access the TÜBİTAK online application system, please go to the following URL: http://e-bideb.tubitak.gov.tr/
- In order to submit the online application form to TÜBİTAK, the candidate must first create a CV on the platform in the TÜBİTAK Researcher Information System (ARBİS), which is available at: https://arbis.tubitak.gov.tr/home.jsf
- The information in the Researcher Information System (ARBIS) of the researchers who wish to apply to the program and the academic advisor(s) in Turkey must be current before submitting online.
- Applicants must be aware that TÜBİTAK and TWAS will not accept applications submitted in any other way than through the online application form.
- No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Therefore, it is recommended to submit an electronic application as soon as possible.
For more details and to apply for a fully funded TWAS-TUBITAK Postdoctoral fellowship visit here.